Almost 85 million pictures are uploaded to social media every day. Eye-catching visuals for your audience are a must, especially in digital marketing. Luckily, you have a great camera at your fingertips and there are many wonderful features found with the camera on your smartphone. By learning how to use these features and stage your photos, you will create visuals that will help your company attract the attention of others.
The first step in the process is to brainstorm what visuals you want to create for your business. Although there are many different options, these are the most popular:
- Quote – an image that highlights a quote from someone reputable, providing the proper attribution.
- Product – an image focused on a company’s product in use
- Lifestyle – a visual of various themes that can be associated with the company
- Promotional – an image that includes a sale, offer or contest
A consistent look-and-feel to all visuals you share will help your audience recognize your social content on their feeds.
The second step is to decide whether you should take the photos yourself, hire a photographer if you don’t have one already, or simply use a stock image.
If you’re going the route of taking your own photos, it helps to learn some of the different features that your smartphone camera has to offer. Some tips for taking captivating photographs with your smartphone are:
- Turn on the grid – The grid (two horizontal and two vertical lines that divide the screen into nine equal parts) is one of the most useful tools on a smartphone camera. Using the grid reminds you to think about the focus of the image and keeping your image level is easier than ever.
- Tap the screen to focus – By tapping the screen of your smartphone, wherever you tap there will be a focus box that appears. By focusing your photo, you are adjusting the exposure and what photographers refer to as the white balance to create a more clear photograph.
- Turn on HDR – high dynamic range (HDR) technique is used in taking photos to reproduce a greater dynamic range of luminosity than is possible with standard digital imaging or photographic techniques. A greater quality photo will give you greater results.
After you capture the photo that you want, it is time to look at it from your audience’s perspective. Ask yourself: If I’m seeing this image for the first time on social media, does it make sense? Establishing a proper context within your image is essential to guarantee its meaning is properly conveyed to the intended audience at a glance.
Adding text and other effects to your photographs will make your visuals stand out from your competitors. Using a high-quality image and the 20% text rule, your visuals will be sure to catch the attention of your audience. If you are unfamiliar with the 20% text rule, it simply is that an image or graphic should only contain 20% text on the graphic itself in order to keep the audience interested.
Simplicity is key when it comes to creating marketing visuals. A common issue faced by businesses making their own visuals is that they often contain too many elements within a single image, which is distracting and confusing.
Being original in your posts will help you to stand out from your competitors. To compete with the other content shared on social media, ensure your approach to visual marketing is original and reflects your company’s unique perspective. Don’t use standard fonts, instead choose modern, simple and distinct font types that reflect your brand’s style guide.
With these tips in mind, you will be able to create incredible marketing graphics that will catch the attention of your audience and help them to differentiate you from other businesses.
Need help creating visuals? Gazette Media & Marketing is here to help you and your business gain a competitive edge and give your social media the attention it needs. Contact us at email@example.com or call (724) 465-5555 ext 285.